Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What a Difference a Day Makes

Do you remember reading my post from yesterday saying how good I was feeling? Well, the Chicago Cubs baseball team must have broken into my apartment last night and taken turns hitting me in the back with their bats. Boy, me and my big mouth.

 For those of you out there who are either getting ready to start the stem cell transplant or thinking about it please know that Dr. Burt and his team do a wonderful job of explaining the entire process and they are willing to do just about whatever it takes to make this process as comfortable as possible.

I have learned to embrace pain as a guiding force throughout my life. Pain has taught me that stoves are hot. Pain has taught me that when using a hammer hit the nail not the thumb. Waking up and feeling all the aches and pains has always let me know that I made it through another day. For the most part, I think it is safe to assume that pain is generally met with a negative connotation. Or to put it a better way, pain is usually a sign that something is wrong. Today, my pain is not that type of pain.

After my first year coaching a group of 9 and 10 year-old kids baseball one player on the team got me a shirt for my birthday that said, "Pain is weakness leaving the body." During this time I was having some difficulty getting around, but I was truly touched by this gesture. All how perfect that saying is now. As the pain from the Neupogen shots kicks in, I am staying fixed on the phrase from that shirt.



3 comments:

  1. Oh Bryan, HANG TOUGH, which I know you will. You know this pain is working on those stem cells. Another favorite saying is "No Pain, No Gain". Take your pain medication and get through this process the best you can. Praying for you. Dad & I love you so much. You are our inspiration. Also, that is awesome about the shirt one of your players had made for you. You have a lot of people praying and rooting you on. Love..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to say how much this blog is appreciated. We think of you and your family and keep you in our prayers. Loved the story about the fireworks! You are everyone's hero and we are all praying you well. What an amazing journey for you and with your attitude it will be successful!!
    With many blessings, Beulah and Tom Gaitten

    ReplyDelete
  3. when the going gets tough just think about how good those hamburgers and brats are going to taste coming off the grill.

    ReplyDelete