Thursday, June 6, 2013

Groundhog's Day

My days are beginning to run together because they are all so similar: Get up; Walk to the hospital in the rain; Get poked and prodded; Walk home from the hospital in the rain; Take a nap; Wake up wondering what day it is.

However, there was a little wrinkle added to my day. Today I started receiving my IVIG treatments again. This morning when Ann and I arrived at the infusion center where we were ushered back to the room by our nurse. She was a tall lady with short brown hair and she spoke with a thick Russian accent. As she was gathering all the necessary supplies for my infusion she was questioning us about the stem cell process I will be doing. As she further questioned me she finally got around to asking me which doctor was performing my transplant, and I replied, "Dr. Burt". When she heard those words her face seemed to brighten and while holding her thumb up she said "Good. Good" in her thick Russian accent. I could not help but chuckle. She then proceeded to tell us that she worked with Dr. Burt for eight years and she had seen the miracles of his work first hand. After the day I had yesterday I cannot begin to explain how comforting it was to hear her speak so highly of Dr. Burt and his work.

As for the infusion, I had kind of forgot how, for lack of a better term, yucky the IVIG makes me feel. The good news is that the staff is very friendly, the rooms are comfortable, and the infusions only take a couple of hours. And most importantly, these infusions are temporary.


2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! Brings tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I am inspired by your strength and courage. Sending lots of love. Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete