Friday, June 14, 2013

It's Electric

On Wednesday, June 12, 2013 a series of severe thunder storms swept through the Chicago area, leaving behind a path of destruction.  Fortunately for my family and I we were treated to bright flashes of lightning and loud booms of thunder, but nothing compared to the areas south of the city.  In the picture to the left, you can see both the Willis Tower (Sears Tower) and the John Hancock Building being struck by lighting simultaneously.  For me, I didn't truly understand the power of this storm until the following morning when I saw pictures of tornadoes and reports of baseball sized hail in suburbs around the city.  I'd like to pray for all those affected by the storm, not only in the Chicago area, but clear to the Eastern Shoreline. 

On Thursday, after the storm had passed and the blue skies appeared, it was time for me to have my last pre-test appointment.  This final test was an EMG/NCV.  This consists of a series of electrical currents being sent through your body to stimulate the nerves in order to measure how fast and effective the nerves are conducting.  My wife and daughters were in the room and watched as electrical currents were being sent through my arms and legs.  My daughters were especially surprised at the involuntary movements of my limbs as they were being shocked.  Many times I looked over and Torin, my youngest daughter, was covering her eyes.  After the test was over, Torin's only real concern seemed to be that my underwear was showing during all of this testing.  Isn't it funny the things that kids find important.

During my initial evaluation in January, I had this test performed.  Now the current testing was being done in order to compare this to the January results.  The bad news is that the current tests showed that my nerves are not responding as fast as they did in January and there were some new findings that showed new areas of nerve blocks.  Dr. Allen was surprised that I had only noticed mild effects from the further nerve demyelination.  The good news is that starting on Monday, June 17, 2013 I will begin the process of preparing my body to harvest my stem cells.   It has been no secret that over the past year my health has steadily declined.  I know I am where I am supposed to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment