Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Lincoln Park Zoo

What a great day! Today was the first day in I don't know how long that the Hinkle family could actually spend a day together without having any other things to do. Well since the weatherman was predicting a sunny 84 degree day we opted for an outdoor adventure.  In my opinion, there could be no better choice than that of the FREE Lincoln Park Zoo.  This zoo is a hidden gem among the hustle and bustle of the city. 
As we began our adventure in the zoo, I can honestly say that my expectations for a free zoo were not that high.  I was expecting to see maybe a few animals lying around in small cages.  Boy was I wrong!  The zoo was full of animals from all over the world.  Not only were the animals terrific, but the exhibits from all regions of the world were spectacular.  One of the first things my daughters wanted to do was attend the cow feeding exhibit.  How sad is it that two girls from Perry County, Ohio have to go to Chicago, IL to feed a cow.
From here we left the farm area and went to watch a seal training and feeding session. 
Not really knowing what to expect at this zoo we spent the entire day going from one exhibit to the other.  I have only been to two zoos.  One in Columbus and one in Toledo.  The Lincoln Park Zoo ranks right up there with them, if not higher.  Here are some more pictures of our day. 












Another great thing about today was that I got to use the electric scooter that Ann's grandma and husband bought for me.  It was so nice to have a little sense of freedom and not have to worry about Ann pushing me around. 
And remember, never go to a free zoo unless you are willing to put up with more animals (humans) outside the cage than are in them.   The good news is that my scooter is equipped with a horn to shoo them out of my way.  If you are ever in the Chicago area, this is a must see.  You can spend an entire day there and if you pack a lunch and park on the street, you won't have to spend a dime!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you all had a great day! I am sure your horn was put to the test today, Bryan. I know the girls, being the animal lovers they are had a great time. Glad Ann was able to walk around and not have not worry about letting go of the wheel chair. LOL I loved seeing the great pictures of my Hinkle family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I loved the pictures! Glad you had a wonderful time with many more to come! Love you guys! Sharon

    ReplyDelete