Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mobilization

Now that all of the pre-testing is done, I will begin the first step in the stem cell transplant process.  This is a ten day process known as mobilization that consists of stimulating the stem cells to move out of the bone marrow and into the bloodstream.  Tomorrow, June 17, 2013, I will be admitted into the hospital for an overnight stay.  During this stay I will receive a dose of chemotherapy, Cytoxan, followed by 24 hours of IV hydration.   Once this step is completed, I will be discharged and required to take my temperature twice a day.  Should I have a temperature higher than 100.5, I will need to go to the emergency room and page Dr. Burt.  Five days after my chemotherapy I have to begin giving myself Neupogen shots.  These shots will stimulate my stem cells to move out of the bone marrow into the bloodstream.   Then one week after my first dose of chemo I will have labs drawn in order to check my white count.  During this time, I will also be taking Cipro (antibiotic) and Diflucan (anti fungal).  I will be sent home with anti-nausea medicine to use as needed.  Finally, ten days after my chemo, I will have my stem cells harvested.  In order to do this, they place a central line into your neck the morning of the collection.  The collection process is similar to a plasma pharesis, where they take the blood, spin out the stem cells, and then warm and replace the blood.  This takes approximately 5-6 hours in order to collect the needed 2-3 million stem cells.  After the stem cells are collected I will be released to travel until hospitalization on July 10, 2013.  I know that this has been a lot of information, so I plan to continually update everyone as I proceed through each step. 

5 comments:

  1. Bryan...Cathy Beal here. I am following your progress, hoping and praying for the best <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. So good to hear from you.

      -Bryan

      Delete
  2. It was one week after that dose of chemo that I experienced that fever! Went to the ER in a taxi but forgot to wear my mask and gloves. If it happens to you, this is a reminder for you. Not everyone gets a fever, but be consistent in your temperature taking. Mine was no more than a neutropenic fever; no infections thankfully. But, again, they are nothing but thorough. I ended up staying in the hospital 2 nights to make sure all was well. Hopefully, you will not get a fever! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy,

      Thank you for all the tips and advice. Keep them coming.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete