Friday, June 21, 2013

Weekly Update

I wanted to let everyone know things are going fairly smooth here. The first few days after my chemo I was tired and had an upset stomach. I had read countless other testimonies from stem-cell patients warning the newcomers to not be too tough, or proud and to take their meds. Me being me, I did not take the anti-nausea medicine until I was absolutely miserable. So my advice is, "Take your medicine!"  No, really, take your medicine.

Today (Friday, June 21, 2013) I actually feel like I may have gotten a boost. I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and stronger. I also received a call from Dr. Burt's office today to check my progress and go over my instructions for next week. So far, my temperature has been normal, with the exception of one evening it went to 99.4.  It went down right away, so nothing came of it. 

Starting tomorrow I will begin my Neupogen shots. Two shots in the belly for six days.  I also start the antibiotic and anti-fungal medicine tomorrow.  I am not sure how all of this will make me feel.  Therefore, I plan to rest and take it easy this weekend.

Then, Monday, I will go in to have my labs drawn.  They are doing blood work to check my white counts.  Also, they are running another test because I have a little scarring on the right lower lobe of my lung.  The doctors have assured me that it does not appear to be anything serious.  They are just ruling out an active infection.  It is possible that I have had pneumonia at some point in my life and just not known it.  Knowing me, it was probably one of those many times that I refused to go to the doctor, adamant that it was "only a cold" that had to run its course. 

Today, Ann and the girls and I went to the Chicago Science and Industry Museum.  Knowing that this was probably the last outing I would enjoy with them for a while, we tried to cram in as many activities and exhibits as possible.  I try to live by the philosophy of "No Day But Today" and take each day as it comes. 

I will leave you with one piece of advice, which is taken from a book I am reading entitled, Neverisms. "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." 

5 comments:

  1. I know I was one of the ones that told you NOT to be superman! LOL Take your meds! Take you meds! Take your meds! This was the easy time, next batch of chemo can really put you down. Be a good boy and ask for them at the first sign. Honestly, one night I thought going to sleep would 'rid me of this headache', NOT! Took longer to fight the bad stuff back than it does to get rid of it when it's young. Next night, first inkling of a headache, I was pushing that nurse button! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not looking forward to the next round of chemo. Thank you so much for being such a great support system for us "newbies". I will do my best to be a good little boy and take my meds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ***grin*** I will take off my "Mommy" boots now! The next round can be anywhere from a bit irritating to down right nasty. I will vote for a bit irritating but not sure if that will count for much. That will be my prayer for you, however. God bless you! Wendy

      Delete
  3. I just got home and catching up with your week. The tears make it a little hard to read. I have enough trouble with near vision now.. You, Ann and the girls are in my thoughts every day. Bryan, you are the strongest person I know and your positive attitude will take you far in this journey. Keep strong. You have so many people behind you. Love you lots. Aunt barb

    ReplyDelete