Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day +7 Tushy Tuesday

Warning the material you are about to read my be too graphic for some readers. Viewer discretion is advised. Also, these are trained professionals so please do not try what you are about to see at home.

July 23, 2013:

Tuesday around Northwestern Hospital is affectionately named "Tushy Tuesday". This is not something I really want to share, but I want those who come after me in the stem cell transplant to be prepared for the awkward conversation you are going to have with your nurse every Tuesday. As part of infection control Northwestern Hospital performs an anal swab to test for Vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE). VRE are a type of bacteria called enterococci that have developed resistance to many antibiotics, especially vancomycin. This is an active bacteria that lives in our intestines and on our skin. Due to the fact that this bacteria is considered a "super bug", meaning that it is a type of bacteria that is only treatable by a specific antibiotic, people with weakened immune systems are at high risk of developing this infection. That is why it is so important to perform a "Tushy Tuesday". For more information about VRE you may want to visit this website: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/vancomycin-resistant-enterococci-vre-overview.

Now, that we have this uncomfortable conversation out of the way I would like to show you how I have been working my tushy off  this Tuesday.  My day started off with the Occupational Therapist coming in.  Here are some of the upper body workouts that we are working on to build range of motion, strength and endurance of my muscles. 
Notice that I am rocking my camo pants in honor of good 'ol Perry County, Ohio

All that's missing is the tan!














 Later in the day we went on a walk with Physical Therapy.  Here is a video of me during part of the walk and attempting stairs!

 
What comes up, must come down!


To finish the day, I wanted to attempt getting up and down out of a chair. 



Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.  

Rise up!

 

5 comments:

  1. You are doing AMAZING... Keep up the good work.
    We Love You!

    Aleta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got so excited watching the videos and reading the blog. I can't even imagine how thrilled the two of you must be. Love ya both :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Job on the Blog, very informative and helpful to those in line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the videos B.....Very inspiring and uplifting to see the way you are knocking out all of the goals you are setting...Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete