Friday, July 26, 2013

T.G.I.F.

July 26, 2013

My first full day of freedom has been quite uneventful. I am pretty sure that I have not moved off the bed except for my trips to the bathroom. You cannot even imagine how nice it is to not have to pee in a plastic jug. After 15 days of that it was almost foreign for me to actually pee IN the toilet. It truly is the little things that we often take for granted.

Waking up this morning it was so refreshing to not have been woken up for those 2 a.m. blood draws. Throughout the day I have found myself continually wondering about my fellow stem cell transplant buddies. There appears to be no bond like the bond that is formed by individuals when they simultaneously have a life altering experience. I will forever be grateful to Dr. Burt and his team and I will forever be connected to my transplant compadres .

My one shining moment for today has been that I walked to the bathroom while only lightly holding onto Ann's hand. Unfortunately, Mom was taking an afternoon nap and, for some reason, Ann could not focus on me while also video taping it. As I continue to document this journey my only real regret is that I do not have many pictures or videos of me to demonstrate how far I have come in this short amount of time. For those who know me personally I think it is quite shocking to see the things I am able to do now. I just wish that the people who do not personally know me could get the full perspective of how the stem cell transplant has miraculously changed my life forever.

Whether it is peeing in the toilet or standing up from a chair, it is about the little things. I am just as guilty as the next person when it comes to this, but it is the little things that create the biggest impact. "Show me a man who cannot bother to do the little things and I'll show you a man who cannot be trusted to do the big things"-Lawerence D. Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment