Monday, July 29, 2013

The Power of Giving

 July 29, 2013

We have all heard the expression, "It is better to give, than to receive." I could not agree more with this statement. However, I have found that the more I give; the more I receive.

Today I had to go back over to the hospital to have my labs drawn. While Ann and I were over there I wanted to stop by and see my friends who were still in the hospital. Ann and I spent most of the afternoon laughing and bonding with our new friends. Sitting there sharing stories brought a sense of enlightenment to me. Their stories and my story are so similar. There is no other explanation than God has placed us in each others life because this is what we needed. "Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him" Matt. 6:8 (NIV).

Over this past month as I have become more open and giving of myself, I have become overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support I have received. Each day I have received numerous cards, too many to count, care packages, and money. "In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive" Acts 20:35 (NIV).

In a world that is becoming overrun by selfishness, greed, and hatred; it is refreshing to know that there are still people who are willing to unselfishly give of themselves. As I write this entry my home is being invaded by individuals who are scrubbing our house from top to bottom in preparation for our return. It is the example of these individuals that has inspired the Bryan's H.O.P.E. Foundation. I have witnessed that by giving only a small portion of myself, I have received far more than I could ever imagine. Today, while I sat in the hospital talking and listening it was apparent that by me giving of my time I was able to give hope to those who needed it. So, lending an ear to a friend or being a shoulder to cry on may be some of the greatest gifts we can give to our loved ones. "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world can live as one"-John Lennon.


1 comment:

  1. Eddie Nash here husband of Wendy Nash(CIDP HSCT vet). You are experiencing much the same feelings Wendy and I began to feel after the blessing of her HSCT. The desire to pay it forward becomes so strong when you feel like you have been gifted with a rebirth. Now the healthier you get you will be more and more able to help others. Wendy sometimes spends hours on the phone and net answering the questions and trying to ease minds about HSCT. I love the idea of Bryans Hope!

    ReplyDelete