Monday, August 26, 2013

Another Week in the Books

August 26, 2013:

 I cannot believe that my stem cell transplant was only a little over a month ago. As I sit here writing this post it seems like it happened years ago. I could not be more pleased with the results I am seeing. I am out of the wheelchair and I am motoring a long with my walker, despite my injured foot. I often wonder how I became so lucky to have found Dr. Burt and his research study. I am sure that God had a hand in it and I am thankful everyday.

Today, I thought it would be a good idea to share with everyone some of the functions that I have regained since my transplant. Here they are:
  • I am able to get in and out of a chair.
  • I am able to button and zip my clothing.
  • I am able to walk with the assistance of a walker/cane (NO MORE WHEELCHAIR).
  • I am able to put on and tie my shoes.
  • I am able to get up off the floor. (This comes in handy when I fall).
  • I am able to walk up stairs. (Just a few).
  • I am sleeping better.
  • I can get in and out of the shower.
  • I am able to type the blogs.
I know there are many more subtle improvements that I have made, but these are the major ones I am proud of.

Something I would like to share with future stem cell transplant patients is to be prepared for a let down after you return home. While in Chicago your life is structured. You are basically told when and where to be and what you need to do. Then when you return home and you lose that routine it can be a little disheartening. For me, I am so fearful of getting sick that I have chosen to isolate myself from the outside world. Meanwhile, I have a friend that felt going out, but staying away from crowds, was best for their recovery. That is the beauty of it all; so many others have gone through this process that it is important to draw from their experiences. You can take bits and pieces of what has worked for others and develop your own routine.

This past month I have experienced my share of highs and lows. I am so excited for the improvements I am seeing, but I am impatient. I want to have years of damage repaired in a month. I know it doesn't work that way. Honestly, hurting my foot has been the best thing for my recovery. Now that I have been forced to slow down I have no longer experienced any of the "spells" I was having last week. Once again I am amazed at the signs God gives us when we open our eyes.

This is in February of 2013. You can see I had to use a wheelchair.

Here I am walking with a cane. This was the day we returned from Chicago.

1 comment:

  1. We are so happy for you Bryan, Ann and family,
    We think of you everyday, keeping you in our prayers! Love you, Aleta and Mark

    ReplyDelete