Monday, September 23, 2013

It's Time to Kick off the Training Wheels

September 23, 2013:


This past weekend Ann was giving me grief about wanting to go to Wal-Mart. I know it shames me to say that I actually was excited about going into that retail abyss. Apparently, Ann did not share in my enthusiasm. Ann has always been my moral compass. When I come up with all my hair-brained ideas she is always there to ensure I have weighed all the pros and cons. So here we are again debating back and forth on whether going to Wal-Mart is a good idea. Off to Wal-Mart we go.

As we pulled into our parking spot at Wal-Mart, Ann turned off the of the van and gave one final plea, "Are you sure this is a good idea?" Running out of ammunition I turn to her and say, "You got to take the training wheels off sometime." Then I opened the van door and swiftly exited the vehicle before I was hit with her keys.

I would like to report that, with the assistance of my roller walker, I bobbed and weaved my way through the aisles of Wal-Mart like a seasoned professional. The most disappointing part of our trip was the fact the what we wanted was cheaper on-line. Had my attention not been diverted by the faint echo of coughs and sneezes, I could have made a real fool of myself in that place. I figured since Ann wasn't real keen on our trip I doubt she would post the required bail money. 

All kidding aside, it was a little daunting to go to such a public place. I think I am becoming conditioned to use hand sanitizer any time a person coughs or sneezes within an earshot. However, I also cannot stay hid away like I had initially planned. It is important for my sanity to get out and socialize with friends and family. All of my blood work continues to be in the normal range, and my doctors assure me it is fine to go places. They say just avoid large crowds and sick people.

This past week I have not made any crazy breakthroughs. I just continue to get stronger and stronger. A month ago I would never dreamed I could walk through two different stores and be able to get out of bed the next day. Plus, I have not had anymore dizzy spells or falls. I have developed a new symptom (probably more like sensation). Early in the morning or at the end of the day I have started feeling "bee stings". It feels like I am being stung by dozens of bees all at one time and in different areas of my body. I will bring this to the attention of Dr. Burt's staff, but I feel it is my nerves regenerating. It is simply amazing what a change in mindset can do. Last year if I would have experienced these stings I would have freaked out.  Now I see them as a blessing in disguise.  Taking it one day at a time.  I hope to keep my training wheels off at least another week. 

Until next week, keep peddling.






No comments:

Post a Comment