Monday, October 28, 2013

Milestones

October 28, 2013

 Our lives are compromised of a series of milestones. We start out as babies where parents cannot wait for their child to roll over, sit up, crawl, walk, talk, and use the bathroom. Then it is the first day of school, first heartbreak, driver license, graduation, and the list goes on and on.

Today, my oldest daughter reaches yet another milestone in life. She is 10 years old. Double digits. One decade of life. As I reflect on her life it simply amazes me. I can still clearly remember the day she was born and how my life was forever changed the moment I looked into her innocent eyes. I am so proud of the young lady she is becoming.

As both my daughters age, I cannot help but be concerned about their health. I was 12 when I was diagnosed with CIDP. My oldest daughter has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune disease where the body begins attacking the thyroid. Currently her thyroid is still functioning properly, but I am sure it is only a matter of time before she needs to take thyroid medicine.

Over the past week, there have been a few other milestones reached by the Hinkle family. The first milestone is that I made my speaking debut. I was honored to speak at the Central Ohio Blood Bank Annual Meeting in Columbus, Ohio. In a room of about 100 individuals I was able to share my story and how important blood donors are to CIDP patients. I also had met a lady whose friend's daughter went through a stem cell transplant in Chicago for MS. Once again, there is no doubt God is working in my life.

The next milestone reached this week is that we have decided to put our house up for sale and look to move out in the country. This has not been an easy decision. However, now that my health is becoming more and more stable Ann and I are finally not afraid of the future. We actually made the decision to move because we ARE planning for the future. With the girls getting older and their interests changing we are looking to make a move that meets those needs and also provides Ann and I a home that we can grow old in.

The final milestone is that Bryan's H.O.P.E. is holding its first fundraising efforts. I am currently selling T-Shirts and Hoodies and the proceeds are going to help a family that has a young daughter that is currently going through treatments to rid herself of cancer. I am hoping to be able to present the family with a check in November at a St. Jude's Walk.

Remember that in life there are many ups and downs. Everybody goes through them. How you handle the good times is not what defines you. We are defined how we handle the bad days. Those are the days that develop character in individuals. Helen Keller said it best, "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."












2 comments:

  1. Very well said. I love reading these.
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    Have your mom bring info about the shirt sale to work. Bill and I would like to participate.

    I think it's remarkable how far you've come in such a short time. Congratulations on all of your hard work!!!

    Billi Klingler

    ReplyDelete