Monday, November 11, 2013

Too Good to be True

November 11, 2013

It was about this time last year I decided to take a leap of faith and contact Northwestern University. I remember thinking this was all going to be some cruel practical joke for some new reality TV show. Opportunities like this do not present themselves to people like me. But, then after reviewing my medical records Dr. Burt and his staff wanted me to go to Chicago for an evaluation. Now I had it figured out, this was going to be the part where I get Punk'd. Typically, if something is too good to be true, then it probably is. Well, not in this case.

Since my transplant, July 16, 2013, I have steadily continued to improve. This past weekend is a huge indicator of how far I have come. On Saturday, Ann and I took the girls to an Ohio University basketball game. No big deal, right? Well, in order to get into the gymnasium you have to walk up a fairly long and steep ramp. Last year when we went Ann nearly passed out trying to push me up the ramp. This year I just slowly plodded my way up the ramp.

Then once we were inside we had to climb up a series of stairs to get to our seats. Last year we had to sit in the handicap section because I could not navigate stairs at all. This time, I had quite a since of accomplishment sitting in the stands watching the game. After the basketball game my day was only half over. One of the area high school football teams was hosting the first round of the playoffs so I had Ann drop me off at the stadium. When I finally returned to the comforts of my home Saturday evening, I had put quite a few miles on my legs.

Sunday morning came and I just knew I was going to have to suffer the consequences of my actions. After I woke up and got moving I was surprise at how well I felt. Neither my legs or back were overly sore. It was as if I was ready to put in another full day. Of course, at my own pace.

To put an exclamation point of the weekend, Sunday evening I loaded up my daughters and headed to the grocery store. Armed with the list Ann provided, the girls and I buzzed up and down the aisles. I think it would be safe to assume that it has been well over a year since Ann did not have to go to the grocery store.

Once again, I am stunned at how well my recovery is going. For this coming week remember, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13). A friend I graduated high school with reminded me of this verse this week. She has two auto-immune diseases and still found the strength to complete a 5K run. I will be completing my 5K next year.




1 comment: