Monday, February 17, 2014

A Week of Living, Laughing, Loving, and Losing

February 17, 2014

Seven days does not seem like that long of a time. It is just a week, right? Well, as I reflect on this past week it is clear to me that a lot can help in this short amount of time.

For me, the adventure started last Wednesday. I was awoken early Wednesday morning by Ann who informed me that our furnace was not working. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!! After wiping the sleep from my eyes and shaking the cobwebs from my head I retreated to the basement to solve this mystery. As I banged and clanged on my furnace I had a vision of a scene from a movie called "A Christmas Story." There I was fighting a losing battle against a malfunctioning furnace just like the father in the movie.

In utter defeat, I ascended from the depths of the basement in search of the repairman's phone number. Meanwhile, Ann was busy setting up electric heaters and sending out an SOS on social media....a move which would be so valuable later in the day.

About 2 hours of sitting wrapped up in my Superman Snuggie had passed when the phone rang. It was a friend who saw Ann's plea for help and wanted to offer some help. Then shortly after I hung up the phone it rang again with another person offering assistance. Between the two we were able to solve the problem. It seems that the pipe that brings the air in from outside became clogged with ice. Therefore, the furnace was not getting fresh air and shut itself down. To remedy the problem I used a wire coat hanger to remove the ice from the pipe, restarted the furnace, and heat began flowing through the house again.

And that my friends brings us to about noon on Wednesday. I still needed to drive about 25 miles to the doctor's office to have an x-ray of my back taken, take Taylor to basketball practice, and then head to church. Let's just say that by 9 p.m. I was pooped and I had to get up early Thursday to head back to the doctor's office to get the results of my x-ray.

When Thursday morning came all I can say is "SNOOZE BUTTON." I was a little slow moving, but was able to get up and once again drive myself the 25 or so miles to the doctor. The trip was well worth it. My back is healing nicely and I no longer need to wear my brace all the time. Now, the hard part about Thursday was that Ann and I went to the funeral home to pay our respects to my great uncle who passed away earlier in the week. Rest in peace John.

After we left the funeral home I was feeling a little run down. My throat was scratchy and my ears were beginning to itch. I decided that I would skip Taylor's basketball practice this night and try to rest up because tournaments were Friday.

Friday finally arrived. Along with the snow that was falling on Valentine's Day, Friday brought another trip to the doctor, a quick Valentine's dinner, and Taylor's first game of her basketball tournament.

Saturday brought more of the same. Busy...Busy...Busy. Taylor and her team ended up playing two games on Saturday. In between her games we went to a benefit for a 2 year old who was recently diagnosed with  neuroblastoma. It was amazing to see such an out pouring of love and support for this little boy and his family. Saturday also brought about another loss of a loved one. One of Taylor's basketball coaches lost his father. So it was a very emotional day. Please keep Taylor's coach and his family in your prayers this week as they go through a very difficult time.

Finally Sunday was upon us and guess what....More basketball was on the slate for the day. At this point I think that between fighting off a cold and not getting enough rest my body was running on pure adrenaline. However, I am proud that I was able to accomplish all of these things this week. I even made it to church Sunday night.

It was this week last year that I was officially approved to undergo my stem cell transplant. And there is no way I would have been able to take on a week like this past week. Last year I was in a wheelchair and dependent upon others for assistance in so many areas of my life. Now, I have regained many of my freedoms that my CIDP has taken from me. Even though I am battling a cold, I am thankful that I can drive myself to the doctor. I can drive myself to the pharmacy. I can not stress this enough, but it is truly the small things I am so thankful for.

So, another crazy week of recovery has been filled with laughter, smiles, and tears. 











No comments:

Post a Comment